The 21-Day Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge, powered by United Way of Delaware (UWDE) and YWCA Delaware (YWCA), is your chance to build more effective social justice habits, particularly those dealing with issues of race, power, privilege, and leadership, by joining thousands of other Delawareans in a 21-day journey of self-discovery that you complete online, wherever you are comfortable.
Registered participants are prompted with a daily e-mail challenge — such as reading an article, listening to a podcast, or watching a video–and are then encouraged to reflect on that content and to relate the situation to their own lives. Participants discover how racial inequity and social injustice impact our community. The goal is to build new understandings and new connections and in so doing, to begin dismantling systemic racism in Delaware.
Emails will begin going out to registered participants on Monday, August 17, and continue (Monday – Friday) through Friday, September 4. UWDE and YWCA will also be facilitating conversation in the 21 Day Racial Equity Challenge Facebook group, where participants can discuss the content and engage with others taking the challenge.
- The 21-day Racial Equity Challenge is a personal commitment to devote 5-30 minutes a day, for 21 days, to learn about the history and impact of racism in Delaware, and the ways that bias, prejudice, privilege, and oppression show up in our everyday lives.
- With this awareness and understanding of how racism shapes each of our lived experiences, we can all become part of making positive change in our community.
- The 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge is an enlightening journey, for everyone – no matter where you come from or how you identify yourself. Along with new perspectives, you’ll receive examples and tools of how you can help undo racism and build a more just and equitable community here in Delaware.
- While we encourage everyone to share their participation with others and to join the conversation, your employee information will remain both private and confidential.
- Every morning of the 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge, registered participants will receive an email featuring links to readings, videos, and/or podcasts that are 5-30 minutes long. Participants pick one or more of the “challenges” and begin their journey of discovery.
- Participants can share reflections and “Aha!” moments using the hashtags #unitedforequity, #equitychampions, and #DEequitychallenge, and can follow the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. A private, monitored Facebook group will be available for deeper discussions
- A downloadable discussion guide will help participants explore topics with friends, family, and colleagues
Become An Equity Challenge Champion!
We encourage organizations to partner with us on the 21-Day Equity Challenge. As a partner organization, you commit to adding your logo to the marketing and communication tools, including a link to the challenge on your website/social media pages, and inviting others (Board members, employees, personal circles, professional relationships, vendors/contractors). Accept the challenge by emailing Tierra Fair, Director of Community Engagement, with your name, organization, email address, phone number, and logo to email@example.com or call 302-494-5442.