2020 Challenge Archive
The 2021 Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge series, powered by United Way of Delaware (UWDE), Delaware Racial Justice Coalition, and YWCA Delaware, was a monthly journey of self-discovery designed to help Delawareans build more effective social justice habits, particularly those dealing with issues of race, power, privilege, and leadership.
For five consecutive days each month between February and December 2021, participants were prompted with a daily e-mail challenge — such as reading an article, listening to a podcast, or watching a video–and are then encouraged to reflect on that content and to relate the situation to their own lives. Participants discovered how racial inequity and social injustice impact our community. The goal was to build new understandings and new connections and in so doing, to begin dismantling systemic racism in Delaware.
The 2021 Challenge is an evolution of what began with the 21-Day Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge in 2020, which occurred weekdays from Monday, August 17, through Monday, September 14. Over 8,000 Delawareans signed up to participate!
Review these topics to get an overview of what the 2020 Challenge covered each day. Use these links if you’d like to look back or review at any point!
Use these tools to support your journey of learning and understanding. The toolkit includes:
21-Day Racial Equity Challenge tracking-log. The tracking log gives you space to write your thoughts throughout the Challenge. We also encourage you to journal your thoughts and reflections.
21-Day Racial Equity Challenge topics. Review these topics to get an overview of what the 2020 Challenge covered each day. Use these links if you’d like to look back or review at any point!
- Day 1: Personal Racial Identity
- Day 2: Understanding and Reflecting on our Racial Bias
- Day 3: What is Privilege?
- Day 4: Talking About Race is challenging for some. Here’s Why.
- Day 5: The Impact of Racial Trauma on Black, Indigenous, and Other People of Color
- Day 6: Levels of Racism
- Day 7: Civic Engagement (includes the Census, Civic Engagement)
- Day 8: Policing and Race
- Day 9: Housing Equity in Your Backyard
- Day 10: How Your Race Affects Your Health (Including Infant Mortality)
- Day 11: What is Environmental Racism?
- Day 12: The Racial Wealth Gap
- Day 13: Behind the Starting Line- Racialized Outcomes in Early Childhood
- Day 14: Education in School Aged Children
- Day 15: Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Day 16: Equity in the LBGTQI+ Community
- Day 17: Building a Race Equity Culture
- Day 18: Being an Ally to POC
- Day 19: How to be an antiracist
- Day 20: Black Lives Matter
- Day 21: Final Reflections & Take Action